Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Etiquette at church


This coming weekend is our church's Father and Son camp out. It is an annual tradition for most wards and I think the guys have a great time. Last year my husband went with another friend who happens to have all girls as well and they had a blast. As announcements were made a few days ago, someone told my husband he is not allowed to go because he does not have any sons. At first my huband thought this person joking but they were completely serious that he was not invited to go. (He will not tell me who said this). This statement downright TICKS me off. Really? Because he was not blessed with sons he is not allowed to go? After all he IS a father and he IS a son. He has gone almost every year since we have been married. This year he has a scout meeting early Saturday morning so he wouldn't be going anyway, but who has the nerve to say that to someone? So all the young couples in our ward who don't have kids yet, and all those who just have girls please be sure to stay home. Seriously! It is like telling me I cannot go to the youth fundraiser because I do not have any kids in the youth program yet. Really? Is our ward that shallow and cruel? I have many non-member friends I am trying to share the gospel with but it makes be leary of wanting to bring them into the ward when there are individuals saying these things. I understand how people can be members their entire lives then one day, just say it is not worth it anymore.

While I am already ranting (much to my husbands dismay) I might as well just let it all out right? Scouring my house has not helped to rid this frustration. We recently got a new bishopric on Easter Sunday. The old bishopric was awesome and amazing and was really there for my family. We went to hell and back and they were with us every step of the way. I am grateful for them, and their families for being there for us. As I am sure they were there for countless others in the ward, during the past few years. So why is it that a few individuals are throwing a thank you/goodbye party for them, and have only invited 35 families? About 10 of which are not even in our ward? Is it that these select families have a deeper connection with them than my family or what? Whatever that I was not invited but this should be a ward function and all should have the opportunity to come publicly say good-bye and thank you.

It is things of this nature that put a big wedge and divide our ward. We have never had unity since it was created and it BUGS me. There are several Sunday's that frankly I have no desire to go to church. With the remarks people make, the smirking in the hall, the saving of seats with your scriptures then you walk in after the sacrament has already been passed, and people unloading their callings onto others is getting quite annoying.



Maybe I have just always put up with things in the past, always said yes when I have no idea what I am suppose to be doing, or turn a blind eye when I see things and figured that is how things go. But you know, the experiences I have gone through in the past few years have changed my attitude a bit and I don't want to put up with it anymore. Because of my trials I know without a shadow of a doubt the church is true, and the Atonement is real. For that reason I will never leave. I have to remember the gospel is true, and perfect in every way, but that people are not.

No comments: